Sunday, June 22, 2008

One Happy Family

One thing that I became interested in when working at IUB was the topic of "management." Never in a million years did I think that I'd be inclined to read any books on the subject. Now that I'm back in it, I find myself being pulled that way again.

I browsed the shelves at Half-Price Books last night and found a good candidate to read. Patrick Lencioni's 5 Dysfunctions of a Team seems very appropriate to my current situation. Now, don't get me wrong. The folks at my current job are very willing to work together. However, it's been my observation that the structure to support each other in meaningful, efficient ways is lacking. I'm not accusing or judging, just observing.

What I liked after thumbing through 5 Dysfunctions is that it not only gives the "leadership fable," but it also provides the model behind it separate from the narrative, which is a presentation of information that I appreciate.

Any other suggestions on books to read? I've also heard Good to Great is another one worth checking out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I always liked The Goal. My first book that I was given to read at Lilly.