Sunday, August 2, 2009

You know, I'm not typically a hard-ass when it comes to supervision. I'm not a micromanager. I advocate for an open flow of communication and transparency when appropriate. I feel like I'm supportive.

But, I can't get over the fact that some of my colleagues are intensely resistant to change. Of any kind!

For instance, I'm very concerned about the status of our funding since the economy is so poor. Now, more than ever, I feel like we should be prepared to justify all that we do. As a result, I'd like for us to work toward measuring our impact on the public, which is something we don't currently do.

When I brought this up in a meeting last week, all I got was eyerolls and groaning. Someone actually cried (long story). Anyway, I've been thinking a lot about this because of the class that I'm taking.

Here are the things that I'd like to accomplish:

  1. Come up with a clear definition of what my library considers a program to be.
  2. Indicate what we hope the public will get out of attending a program.
  3. Develop some outcome-based programming with measurable impact on attendees.

I'm very passionate about this. I think we need to be aware of the political context in which we're functioning and make every effort to PROVE the value of our services beyond the occasional anecdote.

No comments: