Saturday, November 8, 2008

Bonfire of the Philanthropies

Our friend Sheryl is having a fundraiser (a bonfire/veggie-chili supper) for the community radio station in Bloomington (Ind.) tonight.



This event is making me think of volunteering and other ways of supporting non-profit organizations that desperately need help. I'm participating in Leadership Hancock County (the website's not maintained, unfortunately), a leadership development program in the county where I work. We just had Community Day this past week where I and my classmates had the opportunity to meet with several non-profit organizations in the county that provide support for issues such as education, homelessness, local arts, etc. For this program, we're required to complete a project requested by one such organization. Our projects were assigned this week.

My group's project involves working with an existing website designed to connect potential volunteers with volunteer opportunities in Hancock County. It's in bad shape and needs a lot of attention to bring it in line with modern usability standards (it was built back in 2004).

But, that's beside the point. I'd like to get involved with something in the community where I live. Perhaps it's time to consider volunteering at my public library.

No comments: