Thursday, November 6, 2008

Jungian Slip

Wow. I haven't posted since July. Bad blogger! Bad!

I'm still developing my management philosophy and reading a lot on the subject. The one that is supplying me with food for thought on my lunch break recently is A Sense of Urgency by John Kotter. This book focuses on developing and maintaining a sense of urgency in the workplace defined as "a distinctive attitude and gut-level feeling that lead people to grab opportunities and avoid hazards, to make something important happen today, and constantly shed low-priority activities to move faster and smarter, now." (from the front bookflap)

Kotter discusses four tactics to use in order fight the enemy of urgency: complacency. They are:

  1. Bring the outside in
  2. Behave with urgency everyday
  3. Find opportunities in crises
  4. Deal with NoNos
I'm not quite finished with the book, so I'll hold off on my interpretation of the tactics. I do want to mention a moment of synchronicity, though.

The definition of a sense of urgency mentions "shedding low-priority activities to move faster and smarter, now." I recently attended PLA Results Boot Camp and am reminded of our conversations on Day 3 of the experience that involved the allocation of library resources: staff, collections, technology, and facilities.

The basic message as I understood it is that we've got to stop doing the activities that are ineffective and continue to waste our resources, which is what I believe Kotter to be saying. Get rid of the "stuff" that doesn't serve your organization!

We're starting the strategic planning process I learned at Boot Camp at my library now. Our current strategic plan expires next year, and my director has given me the go ahead to begin making a case to our Board to use the Results model. This will mean a lot of changes to the way we're doing things now, but it really is exhilarating to start down the path to working "faster [more responsive?] and smarter, now."

No comments: