Monday, May 26, 2008

Management: My Philosophy

A week from today, I'll be embarking upon on my second stint as a library manager, but with much more responsibility that my last managerial role. This will be the first time I'm supervising other library professionals.

This leads me to reflect on my own management philosophy. A few years ago, maybe back in 2002, I read A Remarkable Way to Boost Morale and Improve Results: Fish! The book really characterizes how I feel about work. The "Fish Philosophy" is based on four principles that I completely agree with. Below is my take on them:

Choose Your Attitude

From the book:
"'I realize now that my grandmother didn't love dishwashing. She brought love to dishwashing, and her spirit was infectious.'"

My take: While you can't always choose your work, the main message of this principle is to choose the attitude you bring into your work. I care about how people experience the work environment, and it really bums me out when people aren't happy on the job. I think it's very important that leaders role model an attitude that helps others feel better about the jobs they're doing. We may not always like the job, but if we bring a positive attitude into a job, it's bound to provide a better experience for everyone involved.

Play

From the book: "'. . . we discovered we could be serious about business and still have fun with the way we conducted business.'"

My take: Yes! Several people have written about "play" as being a key component of the Library 2.0 phenomenon.

In my opinion, it's so important that work be approached not only with a healthy sense of humor, but with the freedom to play. Lifelong learning involves being inquisitive about the world around you. How cool is it to have the time to investigate new tools and their application toward the work you do? Wouldn't it be great to brainstorm off-the-wall solutions to problems with no fear of looking silly or being taken less seriously? That's the kind of environment I hope to foster in my new job.

Make Their Day

From the book: "'We look for as many ways as we can to create great memories. And we create great memories whenever we make someone's day. The playful way we do our work allows us to find creative ways to engage our customers. That's the key word: engage.'"

My take: Creating great memories for our users. Wow. We all know good customer service when we experience it, and that's what keeps me returning to service providers again and again. This is what I want not only for our users, but for employees as well. I want to make sure employees are able to leave work with great memories. Folks work hard and need to be engaged in their jobs or the quality suffers.

Be Present

From the book:
"'The problem was they were having a good time with each other, not me. . . . They weren't present and focused on me, the customer.'"

My take: Creating an environment in which employees can have fun, be engaged in their work, and provide excellent customer service takes balance. If we become too wrapped up in our own good time, then areas of service get neglected. Being aware of our users' needs, especially when they're standing in front of us, is top priority. Likewise, as a supervisor I need to be aware of the concerns and needs of employees.

No comments: