Thursday, May 15, 2008

Not just Google

One site that I've been watching recently is AltSearchEngines.com. I originally heard about it from the Librarian in Black.

I subscribe to the RSS feed, and get lots of updates on different kinds of search engines throughout the day. It's been really refreshing to see how different ideas are being tried in an effort to sift through all of the information available on the web. Lots of folks are apparently looking for ways to de-throne Google as the search engine of choice.

Anyway, one of my favorites of late has been the "people search" at pipl.com. According to the site, pipl searches the "deep web" to find its results. That's great, but I especially like the way its results are organized, looking first in the US, then outside the country. Those results are further divided into categories like, "Contact Details," "Profiles & Directories," and "Public Records."

If you're interested in some different ways to find web content, I highly recommend AltSearchEngines for lots of new ideas.

No comments: